Friday 22 February 2013

Progress Presentation 3.

It's been over a month since my last blog post, which isn't like me. Nevertheless, I have been working hard on my project during this time.

Last week I gave my third progress presentation, in which I covered some of the practice-based research I'd undergone in the weeks prior, and my findings and thought processes which had stemmed from said research.

The reaction to these seemed overall positive, (despite my powerpoint breaking), which was a nice motivation.

I received great constructive feedback, which centered around the fact that I didn't have a critical framework, per se. I had been researching through an implied critical framework, yes, but I didn't actually have a tangible pipeline on paper on in a document. The feedback I received really revived my opinion towards the idea of a critical framework, which, prior to the presentation, had always been negative or muddled. Despite the (imo) slight tediousness of creating a critical framework, it goes without saying that it's invaluable to your research progress. And now that I have my framework finalised, I feel much more confident and extrovert because of the way it vehicles my creative thoughts and studies.

The tutors also scrutinised my "Fundevogel" character designs which was hugely appreciated. Because I so desperately needed some critique on the actual artwork that wasn't just my own opinions.




The Chef: For a young audience, he doesn't strike you as the bad guy. I feel his silhouette succeeds more on that level. Ultimately, the final design didn't live up to the promise of the silhouette.

Also, the skin tone for The Forester is paler than The Chef, which doesn't really add up. The forester spends his days patrolling the woods, and the chef spends all day in the kitchen and pantry. This is just a classic case of me getting carried away and overlooking the basics. Which I'm slowly improving on. These basics obviously cannot be overlooked if your goal is to invent creative design solutions to the characters profile.



I think there is an appropriate variety in the diversity of the character designs. However, it would be interesting to push the designs even further and discover just how far you can push this pixar-esque style of illustration before it becomes to distant from the target audience. (Which is what adaptation is all about).

The leads me nicely onto the topics of discussion in my last meeting with Ryan, in which we went back to basics and reinstated the worth of my project. Such as:

The purpose of adaptation?

What makes it awesome?

Should the adaptation deviate from the prowess of the original story? Why? When has this been well received or done with great artistic merit before?

We got onto the topic of case studies also and how I should consider putting more time into that. So that's task for the next few weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers