Wednesday 31 October 2012

More Clay Practice!

Well today I've been very busy!

I didn't manage to get everything done that I managed to.

(That lovely research proposal keeps avoiding me).

So today after I finished the character development sheet, I went online and bought some clay and some tools.

I bought two different types of clay, and a packet of better tools than the flimsy ones I currently own.

So the first first type of clay is by a company named Chavant. The clay is a sulfur-free modelling clay and was recommended by The Gnomon Workshop.

Chavant is recommended by The Gnomon Workshop.
The clay was very affordable, so I'm interested to see if it will be of a high quality.

The next purchase was the very popular "Super Sculpey" from Polyform. It's a polymer modelling clay so I'm very excited to use that for the first time and hopefully make some awesome models.

Next, I made a couple of models from my Newplast again. Using a book I previously mentioned "Modelling Heads and Faces in Clay", I had a go at making a small, realistic human skull.

I'm pretty indifferent to the result. But there's definitely an improvement from my previous model.










But I can see progress. Hopefully with the better tools and actual modelling clay I will get better and better and begin to experiment with more interesting figures and ideas.

And last, but not least...a very helpful video for anyone interested in sculpting.

How to create your character armature. Which I have discovered is an extremely important part of the process. Not only does the armature actually keep your model actual standing up right, but it allows you to decide the post you're going to go for before you've even touched the clay. So you can see the basic idea of the pose straight off the bat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KkEcCZQeTyM

Enjoy,








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers