Wednesday 5 February 2014

Concept Development and Presentation

Despite having done a number of presentations in my time, I often wish I was more sophisticated in my delivery. Although in my head the content might sound somewhat interesting, and an informed structure is identifiable, the rhetoric of the presentation always feels awkwardly contrived.

But I think this is just a matter of experience. My progress and attitude towards presenting is always maturing and developing, but because they are so sparse, or fragmented, popping up months apart, like trying to learn an instrument, the development is severely handicapped. 

So with this module, we're given the opportunity to present every week to become better at developing concepts efficiently and speaking publicly. Makes sense, right? Last week was the first of the module and the topic was reflective of this:

"What drives my passion for a career in games?"

I took a different approach to every single person in the class. I'm unsure if this is a good thing, and please take that as it's written, with no underlying self-righteous agenda, I do mean everyone. The rest of the class all chose to focus on why they're passionate about games, and that's cool. I chose to highlight the word career and discuss what that meant to me. 

I guess I was quite pleased that I took a different approach, even if just from a philosophical stance. I also spent the first few hours of the presentation writing slides about why I love games, but then as soon as I become aware that I had fallen into an inherent answer or response to a question, I always get worried that there will be no unique aspect to it, or real purpose. Because if my inherent answer is (A) then someone else's has probably been (A) also. So I'm not adding anything to any discussion. I just think it's bad practice.

I can draw a parallel to making games here to this point. Say, you're brainstorming game ideas, and the game idea has wind in it, inevitably,someone will suggest to "do it like Wind Waker". I mean, yeah, Wind Waker is ridiculously cool and it's a relevant way to show wind. But a car designer wouldn't say "just make the lights look like the Ford Fiesta". They would go about designing their own. And I like to keep this in mind at all times.

This weeks' topic is:

"My favourite game, what I admire about it most, and three ways I would improve it."

The first games that spring to mind are Fallout 3 (360), Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC). But then so do games like Spiderman 2 (PS2) and Spyro the Dragon, Tekkn 3, and Tony Hawks' Pro Skater 3 (PS1), and of course, GTA: III and GTA: San Andreas. (PS2). And on top of that I can't help but want to use Pokemon Red (GBC) more than all of these


However, for many reasons, I'm going to go with Fallout 3. 

Adam Adamowicz concept development of Fallout 3

The universe of Fallout 3; the fantastic backstory, and the way that it harnessed the whole retro-futuristic/Rockwellian stills fascinates me immensely. I did a similar presentation back in 3rd year on why Adam Adamowicz was my favourite artist at the time, and this is still true. I can legitimately remember finding his artwork back in high school and deciding that was what the sort of stuff I wanted to create.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers