Monday 14 January 2013

Latest Thoughts and Problems. (P-BR)

In visual adaptation from a story, ideally, you want to bring the story to life creatively, while staying true to the original prowess of the tale.

The authors of these novels give years to the imagining of the characters and environments, and how they intertwine, and so the same standard should be held for the visual realisation.

Recently, something I've been wanting to do is play around with different styles, (as shown in my previous post). So I had fun trying out a new illustrative style with this current design.

Another question I asked myself was:

What makes the main character obvious or apparent in design?

I think this could be incredibly important for this project. The main character is typically the heart of these stories, allowing the audience to place themselves in the context of the story world and empathise with the scenarios.

 Therefore, the protagonist should stand out and be noticed by the audience.

So for the last couple of days I've been designing the main character Fundevogel, for an animation aimed at a young audience.

For the design I took inspiration from Rob Laro (Freelance Illustrator and Concept Artist), and Steve Pilcher (Pixar). I tried to take a bit from the style of both artists because I love the confident line-work and flowing shapes of Laro's designs, and I love the expression you find in Pilcher's work.

By being aware of these two styles while developing this character, I managed to create some really nice expressions in the early sketches, and an appealing, colourful design in his final render.

For the final character renders, I would like them to be all of the same illustrative style, so that they can be compared together in a lineup, and allow me to see how they contrast in terms of shape, scale, and colour.

Working Character Design sheet for "Fundevogel"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers