Sunday 12 May 2013

Forester Goes Hunting.

There's a line in Fundevogel:

"There was once a forester who went into the forest to hunt."

This one line is so ambiguous and open that it allows the visual development artist (in this case - me), to brainstorm scenario ideas. Below are some of the ideas I came up with.

The Forester surveys his forest barriers.

Valley Treck, Hut in the Trees, Running from Danger
Entrance to Grotto

But it was this design below...

which interested me the most. I liked the idea of the Forester having to sail for miles to find the ideal fishing/hunting spot, and camp for weeks, sort of like how real fisherman/hunters do. Then, just to add some mystery to it, I thought of the Forester taking a wrong turn and ending up in this valley of oddly constructed rock formations. 

So I took that one further and spent a few hours rendering it. If you open in a New Tab you'll be able to see all the little details. 



In this render I really tried to push the scale between the Forester and the Structures. I pictured this scene in my head almost over-whelming for the character, and I think the contract in scale helps illustrate this.

I also used a middle VP. This is in attempt to draw the eyes directly ahead of the Forester/through the rock, and emphasise the length of his journey and the size of this Forest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers