Saturday 4 May 2013

Making a Book's worth of Art.

The layout for my book will be similar to the "Art of" books that accompany many of the feature films, animations, and games released today. By this I mean it will have a clear design process concerning the Fundevogel adaptation - (characters, environments, etc.)

 However, because the book needs to cover all of the practice-based research I've undergone over the course of the project, the Fundevogel section will just be the "main" section, or chapter, of the book. 

I'm still drafting up the layout of the book. However, I'll need to have the book ordered by the end of next week for it to arrive in time for the showcase, so that's the main urgency at the moment. 

Here's some examples of illustrative styling tests I did for Fundevogel. In "The Art of Brave" the foliage/terrain section of the visual development really interested me. Basically the artists add a bit of charm or uniqueness to mundane designs such as a rock or a tree. The additions or alterations are usually small, but certainly plant the designs in the world of "Brave", and reminds the audience that they're not just in "any old woods", but rather, "the woods of BRAVE!" 


I went and visited the McManus to do some snooping on the stone carvings they have there. Nothing like seeing the real thing to inspire the crap out of you. 




This one's my favourite. Shame about the scrapes.
This idea of connecting the environment visuals with the characters or the story (or both) harks back to the idea of visual harmony seen in films such as Tangled or Hercules, which again, despite being small details, exist to serve a certain visual style and support the story.


My Work:







1 comment:

  1. the idea that you are going to display this as an "art of book..." is awesome i love those books :D

    ReplyDelete

Followers